- National Center for Physical Acoustics: Established in 1989 by Congressional Act, the NCPA has grown to 85,000 square feet of office and lab space, with an anechoic chamber, a mach 5 wind tunnel, a low speed wind tunnel, a jet test facility, a resonant ultrasound spectroscopy lab, Faraday labs and a multi-million dollar machine shop and computer CAD services for in-house design, both powder and single crystal x-ray diffraction facilities, among other features. NCPA investigates a variety of acoustics phenomena, from ultrasonic to infrasonic including aeroacoustics, atmospheric acoustics, porous media acoustics and ultrasonics. Additional research is addressing areas specifically important to the state of Mississippi, such as catfish health, termite and fire ant infestations, and viability of flood control damsNCPA maintains basic and applied research programs in many areas of physical acoustics; provides coordination of major, multi-university research programs in the United States; serves as an advocate for physical acoustics to federal agencies and other organizations; provides significant educational opportunities for students and postdocs; and provides direct research assistance to investigators throughout the world. NCPA serves as the Physical Acoustics Archives for the Acoustical Society of America and coordinates the biennial Physical Acoustics Summer School.
- The Millington-Barnard Collection of Scientific Instruments at the University of Mississippi Museum: Approximately 500, 19th century scientific instruments, used by John Millington and Frederick A.P. Barnard to teach university students from 1848 to 1861, are preserved in the University Museum’s collections. Included in this collection are telescopes, models of large machines, and demonstration devices for the teaching of natural philosophy, physics, and astronomy. By the 1870s, the instruments became obsolete but were moved to permanent storage to preserve their historic character. The Millington-Barnard Collection objects were stored in the Physics Department attic until 1958, when they were rediscovered and returned to working order. They were displayed in the Physics Department until 1977, when the instruments to the University Museum in 1977 for conservation, exhibition, and study.